Dates for Giants Head Freeride 2017 have been announced! Make sure you are prepared for three days of utterly amazing runs and don’t get caught without the necessities.
Last year Giants Head Freeride was AWESOME! Flatspot team rider Laine Jackart took second at the race, the King of the Coast contest was in full swing, and everyone had a good time. The one defining feature of this event is the number of runs. There are a lot of runs, and each run has a lot of corners. This equates to a lot of slides, and for most of us, a decent amount of bails as well. So make sure you come stocked up and prepared, because the giants takes what it wants, and it has no mercy.
10 things you will want to stock up on for Giants Head Freeride June 26-28th
1. Daves Hippy oil… no matter how many wheels you torch, you’re road rash will need more attention. Don’t be having a staph party at skate events, its bad karma.
- Sunflower Oil
- Tea Tree (melaleuca alternifolia)
- Cold Pressed Neem (azadirachta indica)
- Lavender (lavandula angustifolia)
- Geranium (pelargonium x asperum)
- Infused with Clear Quartz and Love!
Uses/Application: Itchy skin, Bug Bites, Beard oil, Burns, Cold sores, Chapped lips, Scorpion sting, Deodorant, Psoriasis, Eczema, Sun Burns, Dermatitis, Massage Oil
Contains 1 fl-oz of Dave’s Hippy Oil.
2. Wheels… This is GHF. Endless runs, many slides. It should be called skidfest, but thats the event in my underpants. Which you should bring extra’s of as well.
These brand new 64mm FreeRides with our stone ground finish will leave golden lines of thane right out of the box! They feature our wide “FreeRide Core” that provides extra support to keep them amazingly stable and smooth while sliding. They also feature our legendary classic 81a amberthane, which results in a smooth, fast and drifty wheel that won’t let you down. Set these up on your favorite small-sized freeride or cruising board and you’ll be one very happy camper.
3. Toestop… If your riding a topmount, there is a very good chance you might appreciate rocking a toestop for this event. Between the occasional road heave, the excessive sliding and the pinecones there are ample opportunities for your foot to get bucked into all kinds of unfortunate places.
New Cog-Shaped Grooved FootStop, the KoMotion:
Conforms to fit the concave of your board
Custom KranK 95a Urethane so your toe will ‘mold’ slightly against the cog to help prevent slipping
Super Lightweight: .25 oz / 7 gm
Diameter: 1.00″ / 25.4 mm
Height: .76″ / 19.3 mm
7 Fun Colors to choose from!
Sold Individually with a washer, 1.75″ bolt, nut, PSD sticker & a RipTide sticker.
This is not your ordinary toe stop. By loosening two mounting bolts, you can change the angle and position of this footstop on the fly to fully tweak your set up. It also sits raised on your board to provide extra support and keep your feet where they should be! You can flip the wing to accommodate regular or goofy.
- Inward wing is 5.25″ long
- Sits .75″ above the top of your board
$10.99 – $19.99CAD
Did you do a little too much foot breaking? Are your shoes still nice except the sole has it got a big hole in it?
This is the solution!
Foot brake soles fit both left and right shoes and fit all sizes. They are made oversized and need to be cut down to the shape and size of your shoe. All soles are applied to shoes using shoe goo.
Sold individually, they are made up of recycled rubber, and come uncut in a rectangle 13″ x 4.75″.
The V1 soles are are 0.25″ thick, and the V2 soles come in two thicknesses of 0.125″ and 0.187″ depending on how much board feel and durability you are looking for. The V2 soles last longer than the V1 soles, but both will slow you down faster than your average shoe sole!
This is not your ordinary toe stop. By loosening two mounting bolts, you can change the angle and position of this footstop on the fly to fully tweak your set up. The shape of this foot stop is for those who like to have a little extra range of motion with their front foot. Particularly fond amongst those who prefer freeriding. The handy part of this footstop is that you can flip it and ride it as an inward footstop! It also sits raised on your board to provide extra support and keep your feet where they should be! You can flip the wing to accommodate regular or goofy.
- Inward wing is 5.25″ long
- Sits .75″ above the top of your board
4. Pucks (maybe gloves too)… even if your stand up skills are above average, shit happens and you’re going to want a solid glove and puck on hand to save you… especially with all the pinecones!
Speaking of pinecones, check out this epic gif we ripped off from skateslate’s blog!
5. Knee, elbow, and hip/ass pads… there is no better way to keep skating longer, than avoiding slams all together, but slams happen, so having some pads can keep your out of the Med Tech tent. Worried about looking like a kook? We’re Kooks. Fuck that shit. Pad up and give no fucks. Pro Tip: Spine Protectors are the new black.
- MULTI-LAYER EVA FOAM ON AND AROUND KNEE
- REPLACEABLE PE KNEE CAP
- PRE-SHAPED DESIGN
- STRONG CORDURA FABRIC
- HORSESHOE SHAPED FOAM
- NEOPRENE BUTTERFLY STRAPS
- TOP DOUBLE-LAYER VELCRO 360° STRAP
- BOTTOM VELCRO STRAP WITH SNAP BUCKLE
- OPEN-BACK DESIGN
- COMFORTABLE LINING FABRIC
- EN 14120 CE CERTIFIED
- Angled design confirms to hand for excellent fit
- Reinforced thuymb hole and palm increase longevity
- ballistic nylon with industrial-weight stitching ensures durability
- Padded interior provides increased comfort
- Extra thick splint gives concentrated protection at base of hand where most hard impacts occur
- Top splints are removable
- Heavy duty EVA memory foam
- High–density, impact-resistant cap securely attached with reinforced rivets
- KP22 has neoprene butterfly closure
- EP 55 has a comfortable and cool Lycra® sleeve
- Top elastic and bottom webbed adjustable straps
- Flat cap design for longevity and stability
- Compact knee & elbow pads with high density contoured EVA foam
- Impact resistant polyethelene caps securely attached with reinforced rivets
- Knee pad has a butterfly closing system that allows for easy on & off
- Elbow pad comes with a cool, comfortable Lycra® sleeve
6. Bearings… everyone forgets to bring an extra set (or two) of bearings. GHF is dusty as fuck when it’s dry and wet is wet, so why blow a bearing and not be prepared.
Precision ground, Skate Rated™ Racing bearings by Bones®
Removable high-speed Nylon™ ball retainers
Removable Non-Contact frictionless shield for easy cleaning
Integrated bearing spacer to provide perfect 0.400″ spacing
Extended race replaces need for spacers and washers
Extended race provides perfect alignment for greater speed and axle reinforcement
Fewer parts mean faster set up
Features Higher quality steel races, better quality and grade balls, and a superior surface finish.
Single, non-contact, removable rubber shield for easy cleaning and less friction.
High speed nylon ball retainer for greater strength and speed.
Pre-lubricated with Speed Cream™ racing lubricant
Skate Rated™ clearances, tolerances, materials and lubricant provide the best performance and durability possible.
Set of 8 bearings
Bones® Speed Cream® is a high temperature, low viscosity synthetic skate lubricant specially formulated by Bones® to reduce friction, and provide a durable micro film of lubricant to protect against corrosion. We have found this lubricant to be superior to Teflon™ based lubricants in skate environments. Speed Cream R.F. makes your bearings faster and is very long lasting.
7. Lube… Don’t wanna spurge on bearings… a sample Skanunu is $2.50 and will last you the whole of GHF easy… or be a baller and get some of that Purple.
8. Helmet… why is a helmet #8? isn’t it mandatory? Well, then you should always have a helmet, right? If you’re blowing it with a cracked old piece of foo foo, or maybe just wearing a plastic hat, come get a certified helmet and protect your melon at GHF. Bring in the old one and save $15.
9. Bushings… dial in your trucks and be ready to schmang. Having a well tuned shred machine will make your GHF all that snazzier.
- There is no break-in period. Just put them in, adjust and skate.
- Your trucks will be more responsive.
- Increased truck performance
- Improves your skating experience.
- Your turns will be smooth and positive, not floppy or rigid.
- 3 Hardnesses: Hard Bushing: 96A, Medium Bushing: 91A, Soft Bushing: 81A
JUICIER BOUNCE, TIGHTER PACKAGE.
Crafted for quick turning response and smooth edge-to-edge transitions, Orangatang Knuckles are the ultimate high-energy bushing upgrade for carving, pumping, dancing, and freestyle longboarding.
Orange = Soft
Purple = Medium
What’s in the box? Pack contains two insert barrel bushings, two gumdrop bushings, two large cup washers, and two small cup washers.
LONGBOARD BUSHING SPECS
Diameter: 0.95” (24.1 mm)
Height (gumdrop): 0.64” (16.3 mm)
Height (inset barrel) 0.59” (15 mm) barrel + 0.075” (1.91 mm) insert = 0.665” (16.9 mm) total
Formula: Randy Thane
Durometers: soft (orange, 87a), medium (purple, 90a)
RECOMMENDED WEIGHT RANGES
Soft: 65-190+ lbs / 29-86+ kg
Medium: 130-230+ lbs / 59-104+ kg
On Sale$0.00 – $8.00CAD
Like all KHIRO bushings, these ‘Tall Cone’ Bushings come in seven different durometers; Extra Soft White 73A, Mild Soft Orange 79A, Soft Blue 85A, Med Soft Red 90A, Hard Black 95A and Extra Hard Purple 98A.
Note: The X-Soft White Bushings are 73-A hardness, designed for light discipline and lightweight skaters.
Venom is hyped to introduce a new shape for trucks that use Tall Bushings. The ‘Keg’ shape is designed to give more progressive resistance and rebound than a barrel, but without the hard stop of a normal stepped bushing. The curved side profile provides extra meat while still fitting most bushing seats. Ideal for use on the board-side, especially if you want to go to a softer setup without losing stability. Just think of it as a barrel, but with that thicky-thicc-thicc as Nelly would say.
10. Flatspot Bucket Hat… It’s going to be sunny and hot and when you’re not wearing your helmet, you’re going to want to cover your head. Bucket hats are made for the job. Pro tip: Happy Hour sunglasses…
We will leave you with this video from one summer when Mischa, Slota, Aidan, Evan and Shane we drove to giants head and primarily skated everything else around it because the gate was closed.
If you have any questions please feel free to shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, message us on facebook, or call at 604 899 8937!