Dates for Giants Head Freeride 2017 have been announced! Make sure you are prepared for three days of utterly amazing runs and don’t get caught without the necessities.
Last year Giants Head Freeride was AWESOME! Flatspot team rider Laine Jackart took second at the race, the King of the Coast contest was in full swing, and everyone had a good time. The one defining feature of this event is the number of runs. There are a lot of runs, and each run has a lot of corners. This equates to a lot of slides, and for most of us, a decent amount of bails as well. So make sure you come stocked up and prepared, because the giants takes what it wants, and it has no mercy.
10 things you will want to stock up on for Giants Head Freeride June 26-28th
1. Daves Hippy oil… no matter how many wheels you torch, you’re road rash will need more attention. Don’t be having a staph party at skate events, its bad karma.
- Sunflower Oil
- Tea Tree (melaleuca alternifolia)
- Cold Pressed Neem (azadirachta indica)
- Lavender (lavandula angustifolia)
- Geranium (pelargonium x asperum)
- Infused with Clear Quartz and Love!
Uses/Application: Itchy skin, Bug Bites, Beard oil, Burns, Cold sores, Chapped lips, Scorpion sting, Deodorant, Psoriasis, Eczema, Sun Burns, Dermatitis, Massage Oil
Contains 1 fl-oz of Dave’s Hippy Oil.
2. Wheels… This is GHF. Endless runs, many slides. It should be called skidfest, but thats the event in my underpants. Which you should bring extra’s of as well.
These brand new 64mm FreeRides with our stone ground finish will leave golden lines of thane right out of the box! They feature our wide “FreeRide Core” that provides extra support to keep them amazingly stable and smooth while sliding. They also feature our legendary classic 81a amberthane, which results in a smooth, fast and drifty wheel that won’t let you down. Set these up on your favorite small-sized freeride or cruising board and you’ll be one very happy camper.
3. Toestop… If your riding a topmount, there is a very good chance you might appreciate rocking a toestop for this event. Between the occasional road heave, the excessive sliding and the pinecones there are ample opportunities for your foot to get bucked into all kinds of unfortunate places.
We love Max Capps, and we love Roger Bros. Thankfully through the will of the skate gods they have some together to give us this incredible piece of skate hardware. If you're having issues with your foot slipping off and it needs a little regulation than stick this bad boy on there…problem solved!
This is not your ordinary toe stop. By loosening two mounting bolts, you can change the angle and position of this footstop on the fly to fully tweak your set up. The shape of this foot stop is for those who like to have a little extra range of motion with their front foot. Particularly fond amongst those who prefer freeriding. The handy part of this footstop is that you can flip it and ride it as an inward footstop! It also sits raised on your board to provide extra support and keep your feet where they should be! You can flip the wing to accommodate regular or goofy.
- Inward wing is 5.25″ long
- Sits .75″ above the top of your board
4. Pucks (maybe gloves too)… even if your stand up skills are above average, shit happens and you’re going to want a solid glove and puck on hand to save you… especially with all the pinecones!
Darkspeed Slide Pucks are beveled to allow avoid snags, and made of an ultra durable material with a near frictionless slide and next to no wear. Anticipate your pucks to outlast multiple pairs of gloves with these bad boys.
The Velcro is heavy duty, and affixed to the puck with epoxy to ensure they stick for the life of the glove. You wont find a more durable puck out there!
Speaking of pinecones, check out this epic gif we ripped off from skateslate’s blog!
5. Knee, elbow, and hip/ass pads… there is no better way to keep skating longer, than avoiding slams all together, but slams happen, so having some pads can keep your out of the Med Tech tent. Worried about looking like a kook? We’re Kooks. Fuck that shit. Pad up and give no fucks. Pro Tip: Spine Protectors are the new black.
- MULTI-LAYER EVA FOAM ON AND AROUND KNEE
- REPLACEABLE PE KNEE CAP
- PRE-SHAPED DESIGN
- STRONG CORDURA FABRIC
- HORSESHOE SHAPED FOAM
- NEOPRENE BUTTERFLY STRAPS
- TOP DOUBLE-LAYER VELCRO 360° STRAP
- BOTTOM VELCRO STRAP WITH SNAP BUCKLE
- OPEN-BACK DESIGN
- COMFORTABLE LINING FABRIC
- EN 14120 CE CERTIFIED
- Heavy duty EVA memory foam
- High–density, impact-resistant cap securely attached with reinforced rivets
- KP22 has neoprene butterfly closure
- EP 55 has a comfortable and cool Lycra® sleeve
- Top elastic and bottom webbed adjustable straps
- Flat cap design for longevity and stability
- Compact knee & elbow pads with high density contoured EVA foam
- Impact resistant polyethelene caps securely attached with reinforced rivets
- Knee pad has a butterfly closing system that allows for easy on & off
- Elbow pad comes with a cool, comfortable Lycra® sleeve
V-22™ Dual Density Foam
– Specially formulated to provide the perfect combination of cushion and protection for multiple hard impacts
187 Killer Pads® Lock-In™ Cap System
– Secures and aligns removable cap in correct position
Proven 187 Killer Pads® Design Elements
– Light-weight fast drying interior lining
– Seamless interior finish for ultimate comfort
– Ballistic nylon with industrial-weight stitching ensures durability
– Three-panel construction for reliable performance
– Open back design for excellent fit and quick on & off
6. Bearings… everyone forgets to bring an extra set (or two) of bearings. GHF is dusty as fuck when it’s dry and wet is wet, so why blow a bearing and not be prepared.
Roll faster and farther.
Resist dirt and moisture better.
Help to repair injuries to your races caused by dirt.
1 non-contact, removable rubber shields allow easy cleaning.
High speed nylon ball retainer for greater strength and speed.
Skate Rated™ clearances, tolerances, materials and lubricant provide the best performance and durability possible.
Set of 8 bearings
4 bearing spacers
Bronson Speed Co. RAW Next Generation Shieldless Bearings
Next Generation Shieldless Bearings, Designed for Today’s Skateboarding
“Free at Last!” – Shield Free Design No more shields to get damaged or pop off – the first shield-less bearing designed for skateboarding No shield grooves in either race for no crud, dust and dirt build up – super fast sound and spin
“Fast, Slick & Non-Stick” – Tungsten Coated Races Micro-thin tungsten dry lubricant coating is fast, slick and non-stick to minimize dirt, dust and crud build up. Tungsten coating is an extremely slick, low drag, long life dry film lubricant with a very low coefficient of friction – Tungsten coating works well with or without liquid lubricants.
“The Sound Of Speed” – Audible Speed Technology Fully open, high spin, and shield free RAW’s are designed to enhance the sound of speed. Run your bearings with no shields? Minimal oil? Like a RAW sound? This bearing’s for you!
“Maximum Impact” – Cage Design Super strong, durable, non-distortion fiberglass filled pure nylon cage keep the balls precision spaced. High wear and tear resistance, increased performance in a low lubricant/increased dust and dirt environment.
“Rollin’ Deep” – Deep Groove Raceways Balls sit and roll deeper in the raceway channels than weaker shallow groove designs. Dramatically reduces axial and angular side impact damage and breakage, surfaces stay smooth and fast.
“Shred Ready” – Factory Fresh Quality 100% hand inspected twice and micro-polished & ultrasonic solvent washed 3X prior to final packaging. Packaged in nitrogen filled packaging – reduces metal and oil oxidation until ready to be ridden.
Single, removable, non-contact rubber shield allows easy cleaning and low friction.
High speed nylon ball retainer provides added strength and speed.
Pre-lubricated with Speed Cream racing lubricant
Skate Rated; clearances, tolerances, materials and lubricant provide the best performance and durability possible.
Best selling high end skate bearing in the U.S.A.
Set of 8 bearings
4 bearing spacers
Single, non-contact, removable rubber shield for easy cleaning and less friction
High speed Nylon™ ball retainer for greater strength and speed
Pre-lubricated with Speed Cream™ racing lubricant
Skate Rated™ clearances, tolerances, materials and lubricant provide the best performance and durability possible
Next Generation Bearings, Designed for Today’s Skateboarding G3’s
• Deep Groove Raceways- balls roll deep in raceway channels – reduces side impact damage & breakage
• Straight Edge Frictionless Shields- pop off resistant – holds oil in, dirt and moisture out- easy to clean
• Micro Groove Raceway Surfaces- linear micro-groove surfaces improve bearing lubrication, speed and spin
• Max Impact Cage Design- non- distortion custom cage keeps the balls precision spaced & oil circulating
• Balls Out Technology- eliminates shield and cage contact on impact for a go fast, stay fast bearing
• High Speed Ceramic Oil- nano-ceramic compounds for wear protection – moisture, rust, corrosion resistant
• Factory Fresh Quality- nitrogen filled shrink wrap, reduces metal & oil oxidation until ready to be ridden
7. Lube… Don’t wanna spurge on bearings… a sample Skanunu is $2.50 and will last you the whole of GHF easy… or be a baller and get some of that Purple.
8. Helmet… why is a helmet #8? isn’t it mandatory? Well, then you should always have a helmet, right? If you’re blowing it with a cracked old piece of foo foo, or maybe just wearing a plastic hat, come get a certified helmet and protect your melon at GHF. Bring in the old one and save $15.
9. Bushings… dial in your trucks and be ready to schmang. Having a well tuned shred machine will make your GHF all that snazzier.
Is it cold in here or are you just sporting some perky bushings? Stuff these chubby puppies into your trucks and get ready to bounce out of every carve with tons of energy and rebound. Poured with our extra lively and energetic Randy Urethane, which we came upon while testing wheels but had slide characteristics that were a bit hmmmmm . . . premature? Too eager for a wheel, but just excitable enough to squeeze between your washers.
Sold as a set of four (4), including four thin and strong flat washers. Nipples are NOT recommended for every truck on the market, but they do work well with Paris, Tracker Fastracks and Randals (among others).
Like all KHIRO bushings, these ‘Tall Cone’ Bushings come in seven different durometers; Extra Soft White 73A, Mild Soft Orange 79A, Soft Blue 85A, Med Soft Red 90A, Hard Black 95A and Extra Hard Purple 98A.
Note: The X-Soft White Bushings are 73-A hardness, designed for light discipline and lightweight skaters.
Bones only puts out the best. And with minds like Kevin Reimer behind the product, you know it was extensively tested. The hard insert reduces hanger play, which basically makes your trucks perform better in every way possible. To gauge for consistent stability, anticipate to ride a softer durometer than your previous bushings. They are sized to fit all longboard trucks that matter.
Here's what it says on the package, and they don't appear to be lying either:
-Patented bonded-insert technology
-More precise steering
-No break-in period
-The BEST bushings, period.
Venom is hyped to introduce a new shape for trucks that use Tall Bushings. The ‘Keg’ shape is designed to give more progressive resistance and rebound than a barrel, but without the hard stop of a normal stepped bushing. The curved side profile provides extra meat while still fitting most bushing seats. Ideal for use on the board-side, especially if you want to go to a softer setup without losing stability. Just think of it as a barrel, but with that thicky-thicc-thicc as Nelly would say.
JUICIER BOUNCE, TIGHTER PACKAGE.
Crafted for quick turning response and smooth edge-to-edge transitions, Orangatang Knuckles are the ultimate high-energy bushing upgrade for carving, pumping, dancing, and freestyle longboarding.
Orange = Soft
Purple = Medium
What’s in the box? Pack contains two insert barrel bushings, two gumdrop bushings, two large cup washers, and two small cup washers.
LONGBOARD BUSHING SPECS
Diameter: 0.95” (24.1 mm)
Height (gumdrop): 0.64” (16.3 mm)
Height (inset barrel) 0.59” (15 mm) barrel + 0.075” (1.91 mm) insert = 0.665” (16.9 mm) total
Formula: Randy Thane
Durometers: soft (orange, 87a), medium (purple, 90a)
RECOMMENDED WEIGHT RANGES
Soft: 65-190+ lbs / 29-86+ kg
Medium: 130-230+ lbs / 59-104+ kg
10. Flatspot Bucket Hat… It’s going to be sunny and hot and when you’re not wearing your helmet, you’re going to want to cover your head. Bucket hats are made for the job. Pro tip: Happy Hour sunglasses…
We will leave you with this video from one summer when Mischa, Slota, Aidan, Evan and Shane we drove to giants head and primarily skated everything else around it because the gate was closed.
If you have any questions please feel free to shoot us an email at email@example.com, message us on facebook, or call at 604 899 8937!