Dates for Giants Head Freeride 2017 have been announced! Make sure you are prepared for three days of utterly amazing runs and don’t get caught without the necessities.
Last year Giants Head Freeride was AWESOME! Flatspot team rider Laine Jackart took second at the race, the King of the Coast contest was in full swing, and everyone had a good time. The one defining feature of this event is the number of runs. There are a lot of runs, and each run has a lot of corners. This equates to a lot of slides, and for most of us, a decent amount of bails as well. So make sure you come stocked up and prepared, because the giants takes what it wants, and it has no mercy.
10 things you will want to stock up on for Giants Head Freeride June 26-28th
1. Daves Hippy oil… no matter how many wheels you torch, you’re road rash will need more attention. Don’t be having a staph party at skate events, its bad karma.
2. Wheels… This is GHF. Endless runs, many slides. It should be called skidfest, but thats the event in my underpants. Which you should bring extra’s of as well.
These brand new 64mm FreeRides with our stone ground finish will leave golden lines of thane right out of the box! They feature our wide “FreeRide Core” that provides extra support to keep them amazingly stable and smooth while sliding. They also feature our legendary classic 81a amberthane, which results in a smooth, fast and drifty wheel that won’t let you down. Set these up on your favorite small-sized freeride or cruising board and you’ll be one very happy camper.
3. Toestop… If your riding a topmount, there is a very good chance you might appreciate rocking a toestop for this event. Between the occasional road heave, the excessive sliding and the pinecones there are ample opportunities for your foot to get bucked into all kinds of unfortunate places.
4. Pucks (maybe gloves too)… even if your stand up skills are above average, shit happens and you’re going to want a solid glove and puck on hand to save you… especially with all the pinecones!
Speaking of pinecones, check out this epic gif we ripped off from skateslate’s blog!
5. Knee, elbow, and hip/ass pads… there is no better way to keep skating longer, than avoiding slams all together, but slams happen, so having some pads can keep your out of the Med Tech tent. Worried about looking like a kook? We’re Kooks. Fuck that shit. Pad up and give no fucks. Pro Tip: Spine Protectors are the new black.
The starter kit for street skating.
Grab our Street Knee and Elbow Pads together in a convenient and economical package.
- Compact knee & elbow pads with high density contoured EVA foam
- Impact resistant polyethelene caps securely attached with reinforced rivets
- Knee pad has a butterfly closing system that allows for easy on & off
- Elbow pad comes with a cool, comfortable Lycra® sleeve
V-22™ Dual Density Foam
– Specially formulated to provide the perfect combination of cushion and protection for multiple hard impacts
187 Killer Pads® Lock-In™ Cap System
– Secures and aligns removable cap in correct position
Proven 187 Killer Pads® Design Elements
– Light-weight fast drying interior lining
– Seamless interior finish for ultimate comfort
– Ballistic nylon with industrial-weight stitching ensures durability
– Three-panel construction for reliable performance
– Open back design for excellent fit and quick on & off
Don’t go big without it.
With a specially contoured body for maximum protection and comfort without the bulk, KP Pro pads are our top-of-the-line knee pads for skaters who aren’t afraid to push their limits.
- Specially contoured body for maximum protection & comfort without the bulk
- Heavy duty contoured EVA memory foam
- High-density, impact-resistant cap securely attached with reinforced rivets
- Neoprene butterfly back closure for easy on & off without having to take your shoes on and off
- Top elastic & bottom web adjustable straps
Wrist protection that fits like a glove.
The Hired Hands are our burliest glove, with complete wrist protection coupled with the secure fit and coverage of a glove. Hired Hands feature top grain leather and full padding for maximum protection.
- Top and bottom removable/replaceable impact-resistant ABS splints
- EVA shock absorbing foam layers with double stitching for increased durability
- Thick neoprene support strap ensures a secure fit
- EZ pull-on loop
Solid wrist support and protection, front to back.
Our Wristsavers let you skate hard and fall harder. You’ll take comfort in their snug, stretchy fit, plus shock-absorbing EVA foam tucked between impact-resistant ABS splints on front and back.
- Tough, 4-way stretch nylon mesh provides a snug fit
- High-density, impact-resistant molded ABS splints on front and back for support
- Shock absorbing EVA foam secured between support splints and wrist for cushioning
6. Bearings… everyone forgets to bring an extra set (or two) of bearings. GHF is dusty as fuck when it’s dry and wet is wet, so why blow a bearing and not be prepared.
Bones® Speed Cream® is a high temperature, low viscosity synthetic skate lubricant specially formulated by Bones® to reduce friction, and provide a durable micro film of lubricant to protect against corrosion. We have found this lubricant to be superior to Teflon™ based lubricants in skate environments. Speed Cream R.F. makes your bearings faster and is very long lasting.
Single, non-contact, removable rubber shield for easy cleaning and less friction
High speed Nylon™ ball retainer for greater strength and speed
Pre-lubricated with Speed Cream™ racing lubricant
Skate Rated™ clearances, tolerances, materials and lubricant provide the best performance and durability possible
7. Lube… Don’t wanna spurge on bearings… a sample Skanunu is $2.50 and will last you the whole of GHF easy… or be a baller and get some of that Purple.
8. Helmet… why is a helmet #8? isn’t it mandatory? Well, then you should always have a helmet, right? If you’re blowing it with a cracked old piece of foo foo, or maybe just wearing a plastic hat, come get a certified helmet and protect your melon at GHF. Bring in the old one and save $15.
9. Bushings… dial in your trucks and be ready to schmang. Having a well tuned shred machine will make your GHF all that snazzier.
Is it cold in here or are you just sporting some perky bushings? Stuff these chubby puppies into your trucks and get ready to bounce out of every carve with tons of energy and rebound. Poured with our extra lively and energetic Randy Urethane, which we came upon while testing wheels but had slide characteristics that were a bit hmmmmm . . . premature? Too eager for a wheel, but just excitable enough to squeeze between your washers.
Sold as a set of four (4), including four thin and strong flat washers. Nipples are NOT recommended for every truck on the market, but they do work well with Paris, Tracker Fastracks and Randals (among others).
On Sale$0.00 – $8.00CAD
Like all KHIRO bushings, these ‘Tall Cone’ Bushings come in seven different durometers; Extra Soft White 73A, Mild Soft Orange 79A, Soft Blue 85A, Med Soft Red 90A, Hard Black 95A and Extra Hard Purple 98A.
Note: The X-Soft White Bushings are 73-A hardness, designed for light discipline and lightweight skaters.
10. Flatspot Bucket Hat… It’s going to be sunny and hot and when you’re not wearing your helmet, you’re going to want to cover your head. Bucket hats are made for the job. Pro tip: Happy Hour sunglasses…
We will leave you with this video from one summer when Mischa, Slota, Aidan, Evan and Shane we drove to giants head and primarily skated everything else around it because the gate was closed.
If you have any questions please feel free to shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, message us on facebook, or call at 604 899 8937!