Dates for Giants Head Freeride 2017 have been announced! Make sure you are prepared for three days of utterly amazing runs and don’t get caught without the necessities.
Last year Giants Head Freeride was AWESOME! Flatspot team rider Laine Jackart took second at the race, the King of the Coast contest was in full swing, and everyone had a good time. The one defining feature of this event is the number of runs. There are a lot of runs, and each run has a lot of corners. This equates to a lot of slides, and for most of us, a decent amount of bails as well. So make sure you come stocked up and prepared, because the giants takes what it wants, and it has no mercy.
10 things you will want to stock up on for Giants Head Freeride June 26-28th
1. Daves Hippy oil… no matter how many wheels you torch, you’re road rash will need more attention. Don’t be having a staph party at skate events, its bad karma.
2. Wheels… This is GHF. Endless runs, many slides. It should be called skidfest, but thats the event in my underpants. Which you should bring extra’s of as well.
These brand new 64mm FreeRides with our stone ground finish will leave golden lines of thane right out of the box! They feature our wide “FreeRide Core” that provides extra support to keep them amazingly stable and smooth while sliding. They also feature our legendary classic 81a amberthane, which results in a smooth, fast and drifty wheel that won’t let you down. Set these up on your favorite small-sized freeride or cruising board and you’ll be one very happy camper.
3. Toestop… If your riding a topmount, there is a very good chance you might appreciate rocking a toestop for this event. Between the occasional road heave, the excessive sliding and the pinecones there are ample opportunities for your foot to get bucked into all kinds of unfortunate places.
$10.99 – $19.99CAD
Did you do a little too much foot breaking? Are your shoes still nice except the sole has it got a big hole in it?
This is the solution!
Foot brake soles fit both left and right shoes and fit all sizes. They are made oversized and need to be cut down to the shape and size of your shoe. All soles are applied to shoes using shoe goo.
Sold individually, they are made up of recycled rubber, and come uncut in a rectangle 13″ x 4.75″.
The V1 soles are are 0.25″ thick, and the V2 soles come in two thicknesses of 0.125″ and 0.187″ depending on how much board feel and durability you are looking for. The V2 soles last longer than the V1 soles, but both will slow you down faster than your average shoe sole!
This is not your ordinary toe stop. By loosening two mounting bolts, you can change the angle and position of this footstop on the fly to fully tweak your set up. It also sits raised on your board to provide extra support and keep your feet where they should be! You can flip the wing to accommodate regular or goofy.
- Inward wing is 5.25″ long
- Sits .75″ above the top of your board
4. Pucks (maybe gloves too)… even if your stand up skills are above average, shit happens and you’re going to want a solid glove and puck on hand to save you… especially with all the pinecones!
Speaking of pinecones, check out this epic gif we ripped off from skateslate’s blog!
5. Knee, elbow, and hip/ass pads… there is no better way to keep skating longer, than avoiding slams all together, but slams happen, so having some pads can keep your out of the Med Tech tent. Worried about looking like a kook? We’re Kooks. Fuck that shit. Pad up and give no fucks. Pro Tip: Spine Protectors are the new black.
- MULTI-LAYER EVA FOAM ON AND AROUND KNEE
- REPLACEABLE PE KNEE CAP
- PRE-SHAPED DESIGN
- STRONG CORDURA FABRIC
- HORSESHOE SHAPED FOAM
- NEOPRENE BUTTERFLY STRAPS
- TOP DOUBLE-LAYER VELCRO 360° STRAP
- BOTTOM VELCRO STRAP WITH SNAP BUCKLE
- OPEN-BACK DESIGN
- COMFORTABLE LINING FABRIC
- EN 14120 CE CERTIFIED
Solid wrist support and protection, front to back.
Our Wristsavers let you skate hard and fall harder. You’ll take comfort in their snug, stretchy fit, plus shock-absorbing EVA foam tucked between impact-resistant ABS splints on front and back.
- Tough, 4-way stretch nylon mesh provides a snug fit
- High-density, impact-resistant molded ABS splints on front and back for support
- Shock absorbing EVA foam secured between support splints and wrist for cushioning
The starter kit for street skating.
Grab our Street Knee and Elbow Pads together in a convenient and economical package.
- Compact knee & elbow pads with high density contoured EVA foam
- Impact resistant polyethelene caps securely attached with reinforced rivets
- Knee pad has a butterfly closing system that allows for easy on & off
- Elbow pad comes with a cool, comfortable Lycra® sleeve
Park your elbows in these.
Designed for those skaters that need more padding, our EP 55 elbow pads combine durability, comfort and maximum padding that gets you back up after a fall.
- Heavy duty EVA memory foam
- High–density, impact-resistant cap securely attached with reinforced rivets
- Comfortable and cool Lycra® sleeve
- Top elastic and bottom webbed adjustable straps
- Flat cap design for longevity and stability
6. Bearings… everyone forgets to bring an extra set (or two) of bearings. GHF is dusty as fuck when it’s dry and wet is wet, so why blow a bearing and not be prepared.
Features grade 5, silicone nitride, hot isostatically pressed ceramic balls.
Higher quality steel races and a superior surface finish.
Single non-contact removable rubber shield for easy cleaning and less friction.
High speed nylon ball retainer for greater strength and speed.
Pre-lubricated with Speed Cream racing lubricant.
Skate Rated clearances, tolerances, materials and lubricant provide the best performance and durability possible.
Set of 8 bearings
Single, removable, non-contact rubber shield allows easy cleaning and low friction.
High speed nylon ball retainer provides added strength and speed.
Pre-lubricated with Speed Cream racing lubricant
Skate Rated; clearances, tolerances, materials and lubricant provide the best performance and durability possible.
Best selling high end skate bearing in the U.S.A.
Set of 8 bearings
4 bearing spacers
Bones® Speed Cream® is a high temperature, low viscosity synthetic skate lubricant specially formulated by Bones® to reduce friction, and provide a durable micro film of lubricant to protect against corrosion. We have found this lubricant to be superior to Teflon™ based lubricants in skate environments. Speed Cream R.F. makes your bearings faster and is very long lasting.
-Ceramic balls are lighter, stiffer, smoother and naturally corrosion resistant. This means we can use a lower viscosity lubricant which makes them fast right out of the tube.
– Precision 8mm axle holes
– .4045″ built in spacers
– .5mm built in speedrings
– Strengthened Nylon Ball Retainers
– White rubber seals to keep dirt and debris on the outside of the bearing.
– Lubed with Custom Nanoceramic Grease
-The unique feature of our lubricant is how the nanoceramic compound fills in deformations or asperities in the bearing. These deformations cause friction and heat around them which hardens the nano-ceramic compound to that specific area. This micro coating is 5 times the hardness of the host alloy and has a molecular bond with the host metal, filling in all the asperities and eliminating friction over time.
-The coefficient of friction is the lowest in the field of Tribology at 0.003% creating a near frictionless surface. Mainly because the nanoceramic compound eliminates all asperities.
-Corrosion on the inside of the bearing is nearly eliminated.
Sold in sets of 8 bearings.
Bronson Speed Co. RAW Next Generation Shieldless Bearings
Next Generation Shieldless Bearings, Designed for Today’s Skateboarding
“Free at Last!” – Shield Free Design No more shields to get damaged or pop off – the first shield-less bearing designed for skateboarding No shield grooves in either race for no crud, dust and dirt build up – super fast sound and spin
“Fast, Slick & Non-Stick” – Tungsten Coated Races Micro-thin tungsten dry lubricant coating is fast, slick and non-stick to minimize dirt, dust and crud build up. Tungsten coating is an extremely slick, low drag, long life dry film lubricant with a very low coefficient of friction – Tungsten coating works well with or without liquid lubricants.
“The Sound Of Speed” – Audible Speed Technology Fully open, high spin, and shield free RAW’s are designed to enhance the sound of speed. Run your bearings with no shields? Minimal oil? Like a RAW sound? This bearing’s for you!
“Maximum Impact” – Cage Design Super strong, durable, non-distortion fiberglass filled pure nylon cage keep the balls precision spaced. High wear and tear resistance, increased performance in a low lubricant/increased dust and dirt environment.
“Rollin’ Deep” – Deep Groove Raceways Balls sit and roll deeper in the raceway channels than weaker shallow groove designs. Dramatically reduces axial and angular side impact damage and breakage, surfaces stay smooth and fast.
“Shred Ready” – Factory Fresh Quality 100% hand inspected twice and micro-polished & ultrasonic solvent washed 3X prior to final packaging. Packaged in nitrogen filled packaging – reduces metal and oil oxidation until ready to be ridden.
7. Lube… Don’t wanna spurge on bearings… a sample Skanunu is $2.50 and will last you the whole of GHF easy… or be a baller and get some of that Purple.
8. Helmet… why is a helmet #8? isn’t it mandatory? Well, then you should always have a helmet, right? If you’re blowing it with a cracked old piece of foo foo, or maybe just wearing a plastic hat, come get a certified helmet and protect your melon at GHF. Bring in the old one and save $15.
9. Bushings… dial in your trucks and be ready to schmang. Having a well tuned shred machine will make your GHF all that snazzier.
Venom is hyped to introduce a new shape for trucks that use Tall Bushings. The ‘Keg’ shape is designed to give more progressive resistance and rebound than a barrel, but without the hard stop of a normal stepped bushing. The curved side profile provides extra meat while still fitting most bushing seats. Ideal for use on the board-side, especially if you want to go to a softer setup without losing stability. Just think of it as a barrel, but with that thicky-thicc-thicc as Nelly would say.
Bones only puts out the best. And with minds like Kevin Reimer behind the product, you know it was extensively tested. The hard insert reduces hanger play, which basically makes your trucks perform better in every way possible. To gauge for consistent stability, anticipate to ride a softer durometer than your previous bushings. They are sized to fit all longboard trucks that matter.
Here's what it says on the package, and they don't appear to be lying either:
-Patented bonded-insert technology
-More precise steering
-No break-in period
-The BEST bushings, period.
10. Flatspot Bucket Hat… It’s going to be sunny and hot and when you’re not wearing your helmet, you’re going to want to cover your head. Bucket hats are made for the job. Pro tip: Happy Hour sunglasses…
We will leave you with this video from one summer when Mischa, Slota, Aidan, Evan and Shane we drove to giants head and primarily skated everything else around it because the gate was closed.
If you have any questions please feel free to shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, message us on facebook, or call at 604 899 8937!