Dates for Giants Head Freeride 2017 have been announced! Make sure you are prepared for three days of utterly amazing runs and don’t get caught without the necessities.
Last year Giants Head Freeride was AWESOME! Flatspot team rider Laine Jackart took second at the race, the King of the Coast contest was in full swing, and everyone had a good time. The one defining feature of this event is the number of runs. There are a lot of runs, and each run has a lot of corners. This equates to a lot of slides, and for most of us, a decent amount of bails as well. So make sure you come stocked up and prepared, because the giants takes what it wants, and it has no mercy.
10 things you will want to stock up on for Giants Head Freeride June 26-28th
1. Daves Hippy oil… no matter how many wheels you torch, you’re road rash will need more attention. Don’t be having a staph party at skate events, its bad karma.
2. Wheels… This is GHF. Endless runs, many slides. It should be called skidfest, but thats the event in my underpants. Which you should bring extra’s of as well.
These brand new 64mm FreeRides with our stone ground finish will leave golden lines of thane right out of the box! They feature our wide “FreeRide Core” that provides extra support to keep them amazingly stable and smooth while sliding. They also feature our legendary classic 81a amberthane, which results in a smooth, fast and drifty wheel that won’t let you down. Set these up on your favorite small-sized freeride or cruising board and you’ll be one very happy camper.
3. Toestop… If your riding a topmount, there is a very good chance you might appreciate rocking a toestop for this event. Between the occasional road heave, the excessive sliding and the pinecones there are ample opportunities for your foot to get bucked into all kinds of unfortunate places.
This is not your ordinary toe stop. By loosening two mounting bolts, you can change the angle and position of this footstop on the fly to fully tweak your set up. The shape of this foot stop is for those who like to have a little extra range of motion with their front foot. Particularly fond amongst those who prefer freeriding. The handy part of this footstop is that you can flip it and ride it as an inward footstop! It also sits raised on your board to provide extra support and keep your feet where they should be! You can flip the wing to accommodate regular or goofy.
- Inward wing is 5.25″ long
- Sits .75″ above the top of your board
4. Pucks (maybe gloves too)… even if your stand up skills are above average, shit happens and you’re going to want a solid glove and puck on hand to save you… especially with all the pinecones!
Speaking of pinecones, check out this epic gif we ripped off from skateslate’s blog!
5. Knee, elbow, and hip/ass pads… there is no better way to keep skating longer, than avoiding slams all together, but slams happen, so having some pads can keep your out of the Med Tech tent. Worried about looking like a kook? We’re Kooks. Fuck that shit. Pad up and give no fucks. Pro Tip: Spine Protectors are the new black.
Pack it up and head to the park.
Now you can pick up our KP 22 Knee Pads and our EP 55 Elbow Pads together in a lightweight mesh backpack.
- Heavy duty EVA memory foam
- High–density, impact-resistant cap securely attached with reinforced rivets
- KP22 has neoprene butterfly closure
- EP 55 has a comfortable and cool Lycra® sleeve
- Top elastic and bottom webbed adjustable straps
- Flat cap design for longevity and stability
The starter kit for street skating.
Grab our Street Knee and Elbow Pads together in a convenient and economical package.
- Compact knee & elbow pads with high density contoured EVA foam
- Impact resistant polyethelene caps securely attached with reinforced rivets
- Knee pad has a butterfly closing system that allows for easy on & off
- Elbow pad comes with a cool, comfortable Lycra® sleeve
Don’t go big without it.
With a specially contoured body for maximum protection and comfort without the bulk, KP Pro pads are our top-of-the-line knee pads for skaters who aren’t afraid to push their limits.
- Specially contoured body for maximum protection & comfort without the bulk
- Heavy duty contoured EVA memory foam
- High-density, impact-resistant cap securely attached with reinforced rivets
- Neoprene butterfly back closure for easy on & off without having to take your shoes on and off
- Top elastic & bottom web adjustable straps
Easy on, easy off.
Get classic Wristsaver protection, support and padded comfort with the added bonus of our single strap, Slide-On design. No matter how hard you skate, putting on and taking off the Wristaver II is super easy.
- Tough, 4-way stretch nylon mesh provides a snug fit
- High-density, impact-resistant molded ABS splints on front & back for support
- Shock absorbing EVA foam between support splints & wrist for cushioning
6. Bearings… everyone forgets to bring an extra set (or two) of bearings. GHF is dusty as fuck when it’s dry and wet is wet, so why blow a bearing and not be prepared.
-Ceramic balls are lighter, stiffer, smoother and naturally corrosion resistant. This means we can use a lower viscosity lubricant which makes them fast right out of the tube.
– Precision 8mm axle holes
– .4045″ built in spacers
– .5mm built in speedrings
– Strengthened Nylon Ball Retainers
– White rubber seals to keep dirt and debris on the outside of the bearing.
– Lubed with Custom Nanoceramic Grease
-The unique feature of our lubricant is how the nanoceramic compound fills in deformations or asperities in the bearing. These deformations cause friction and heat around them which hardens the nano-ceramic compound to that specific area. This micro coating is 5 times the hardness of the host alloy and has a molecular bond with the host metal, filling in all the asperities and eliminating friction over time.
-The coefficient of friction is the lowest in the field of Tribology at 0.003% creating a near frictionless surface. Mainly because the nanoceramic compound eliminates all asperities.
-Corrosion on the inside of the bearing is nearly eliminated.
Sold in sets of 8 bearings.
Bronson Speed Co. RAW Next Generation Shieldless Bearings
Next Generation Shieldless Bearings, Designed for Today’s Skateboarding
“Free at Last!” – Shield Free Design No more shields to get damaged or pop off – the first shield-less bearing designed for skateboarding No shield grooves in either race for no crud, dust and dirt build up – super fast sound and spin
“Fast, Slick & Non-Stick” – Tungsten Coated Races Micro-thin tungsten dry lubricant coating is fast, slick and non-stick to minimize dirt, dust and crud build up. Tungsten coating is an extremely slick, low drag, long life dry film lubricant with a very low coefficient of friction – Tungsten coating works well with or without liquid lubricants.
“The Sound Of Speed” – Audible Speed Technology Fully open, high spin, and shield free RAW’s are designed to enhance the sound of speed. Run your bearings with no shields? Minimal oil? Like a RAW sound? This bearing’s for you!
“Maximum Impact” – Cage Design Super strong, durable, non-distortion fiberglass filled pure nylon cage keep the balls precision spaced. High wear and tear resistance, increased performance in a low lubricant/increased dust and dirt environment.
“Rollin’ Deep” – Deep Groove Raceways Balls sit and roll deeper in the raceway channels than weaker shallow groove designs. Dramatically reduces axial and angular side impact damage and breakage, surfaces stay smooth and fast.
“Shred Ready” – Factory Fresh Quality 100% hand inspected twice and micro-polished & ultrasonic solvent washed 3X prior to final packaging. Packaged in nitrogen filled packaging – reduces metal and oil oxidation until ready to be ridden.
Single, non-contact, removable rubber shield for easy cleaning and less friction
High speed Nylon™ ball retainer for greater strength and speed
Pre-lubricated with Speed Cream™ racing lubricant
Skate Rated™ clearances, tolerances, materials and lubricant provide the best performance and durability possible
7. Lube… Don’t wanna spurge on bearings… a sample Skanunu is $2.50 and will last you the whole of GHF easy… or be a baller and get some of that Purple.
8. Helmet… why is a helmet #8? isn’t it mandatory? Well, then you should always have a helmet, right? If you’re blowing it with a cracked old piece of foo foo, or maybe just wearing a plastic hat, come get a certified helmet and protect your melon at GHF. Bring in the old one and save $15.
9. Bushings… dial in your trucks and be ready to schmang. Having a well tuned shred machine will make your GHF all that snazzier.
Is it cold in here or are you just sporting some perky bushings? Stuff these chubby puppies into your trucks and get ready to bounce out of every carve with tons of energy and rebound. Poured with our extra lively and energetic Randy Urethane, which we came upon while testing wheels but had slide characteristics that were a bit hmmmmm . . . premature? Too eager for a wheel, but just excitable enough to squeeze between your washers.
Sold as a set of four (4), including four thin and strong flat washers. Nipples are NOT recommended for every truck on the market, but they do work well with Paris, Tracker Fastracks and Randals (among others).
10. Flatspot Bucket Hat… It’s going to be sunny and hot and when you’re not wearing your helmet, you’re going to want to cover your head. Bucket hats are made for the job. Pro tip: Happy Hour sunglasses…
We will leave you with this video from one summer when Mischa, Slota, Aidan, Evan and Shane we drove to giants head and primarily skated everything else around it because the gate was closed.
If you have any questions please feel free to shoot us an email at email@example.com, message us on facebook, or call at 604 899 8937!