Dates for Giants Head Freeride 2017 have been announced! Make sure you are prepared for three days of utterly amazing runs and don’t get caught without the necessities.
Last year Giants Head Freeride was AWESOME! Flatspot team rider Laine Jackart took second at the race, the King of the Coast contest was in full swing, and everyone had a good time. The one defining feature of this event is the number of runs. There are a lot of runs, and each run has a lot of corners. This equates to a lot of slides, and for most of us, a decent amount of bails as well. So make sure you come stocked up and prepared, because the giants takes what it wants, and it has no mercy.
10 things you will want to stock up on for Giants Head Freeride June 26-28th
1. Daves Hippy oil… no matter how many wheels you torch, you’re road rash will need more attention. Don’t be having a staph party at skate events, its bad karma.
2. Wheels… This is GHF. Endless runs, many slides. It should be called skidfest, but thats the event in my underpants. Which you should bring extra’s of as well.
These brand new 64mm FreeRides with our stone ground finish will leave golden lines of thane right out of the box! They feature our wide “FreeRide Core” that provides extra support to keep them amazingly stable and smooth while sliding. They also feature our legendary classic 81a amberthane, which results in a smooth, fast and drifty wheel that won’t let you down. Set these up on your favorite small-sized freeride or cruising board and you’ll be one very happy camper.
3. Toestop… If your riding a topmount, there is a very good chance you might appreciate rocking a toestop for this event. Between the occasional road heave, the excessive sliding and the pinecones there are ample opportunities for your foot to get bucked into all kinds of unfortunate places.
This is not your ordinary toe stop. By loosening two mounting bolts, you can change the angle and position of this footstop on the fly to fully tweak your set up. The shape of this foot stop is for those who like to have a little extra range of motion with their front foot. Particularly fond amongst those who prefer freeriding. The handy part of this footstop is that you can flip it and ride it as an inward footstop! It also sits raised on your board to provide extra support and keep your feet where they should be! You can flip the wing to accommodate regular or goofy.
- Inward wing is 5.25″ long
- Sits .75″ above the top of your board
New Cog-Shaped Grooved FootStop, the KoMotion:
Conforms to fit the concave of your board
Custom KranK 95a Urethane so your toe will ‘mold’ slightly against the cog to help prevent slipping
Super Lightweight: .25 oz / 7 gm
Diameter: 1.00″ / 25.4 mm
Height: .76″ / 19.3 mm
7 Fun Colors to choose from!
Sold Individually with a washer, 1.75″ bolt, nut, PSD sticker & a RipTide sticker.
4. Pucks (maybe gloves too)… even if your stand up skills are above average, shit happens and you’re going to want a solid glove and puck on hand to save you… especially with all the pinecones!
Speaking of pinecones, check out this epic gif we ripped off from skateslate’s blog!
5. Knee, elbow, and hip/ass pads… there is no better way to keep skating longer, than avoiding slams all together, but slams happen, so having some pads can keep your out of the Med Tech tent. Worried about looking like a kook? We’re Kooks. Fuck that shit. Pad up and give no fucks. Pro Tip: Spine Protectors are the new black.
- MULTI-LAYER EVA FOAM ON AND AROUND KNEE
- REPLACEABLE PE KNEE CAP
- PRE-SHAPED DESIGN
- STRONG CORDURA FABRIC
- HORSESHOE SHAPED FOAM
- NEOPRENE BUTTERFLY STRAPS
- TOP DOUBLE-LAYER VELCRO 360° STRAP
- BOTTOM VELCRO STRAP WITH SNAP BUCKLE
- OPEN-BACK DESIGN
- COMFORTABLE LINING FABRIC
- EN 14120 CE CERTIFIED
Park your elbows in these.
Designed for those skaters that need more padding, our EP 55 elbow pads combine durability, comfort and maximum padding that gets you back up after a fall.
- Heavy duty EVA memory foam
- High–density, impact-resistant cap securely attached with reinforced rivets
- Comfortable and cool Lycra® sleeve
- Top elastic and bottom webbed adjustable straps
- Flat cap design for longevity and stability
Easy on, easy off.
Get classic Wristsaver protection, support and padded comfort with the added bonus of our single strap, Slide-On design. No matter how hard you skate, putting on and taking off the Wristaver II is super easy.
- Tough, 4-way stretch nylon mesh provides a snug fit
- High-density, impact-resistant molded ABS splints on front & back for support
- Shock absorbing EVA foam between support splints & wrist for cushioning
V-22™ Dual Density Foam
– Specially formulated to provide the perfect combination of cushion and protection for multiple hard impacts
187 Killer Pads® Lock-In™ Cap System
– Secures and aligns removable cap in correct position
Proven 187 Killer Pads® Design Elements
– Light-weight fast drying interior lining
– Seamless interior finish for ultimate comfort
– Ballistic nylon with industrial-weight stitching ensures durability
– Three-panel construction for reliable performance
– Open back design for excellent fit and quick on & off
6. Bearings… everyone forgets to bring an extra set (or two) of bearings. GHF is dusty as fuck when it’s dry and wet is wet, so why blow a bearing and not be prepared.
Next Generation Bearings, Designed for Today’s Skateboarding G3’s
• Deep Groove Raceways- balls roll deep in raceway channels – reduces side impact damage & breakage
• Straight Edge Frictionless Shields- pop off resistant – holds oil in, dirt and moisture out- easy to clean
• Micro Groove Raceway Surfaces- linear micro-groove surfaces improve bearing lubrication, speed and spin
• Max Impact Cage Design- non- distortion custom cage keeps the balls precision spaced & oil circulating
• Balls Out Technology- eliminates shield and cage contact on impact for a go fast, stay fast bearing
• High Speed Ceramic Oil- nano-ceramic compounds for wear protection – moisture, rust, corrosion resistant
• Factory Fresh Quality- nitrogen filled shrink wrap, reduces metal & oil oxidation until ready to be ridden
Single, non-contact, removable rubber shield for easy cleaning and less friction
High speed Nylon™ ball retainer for greater strength and speed
Pre-lubricated with Speed Cream™ racing lubricant
Skate Rated™ clearances, tolerances, materials and lubricant provide the best performance and durability possible
Bones® Speed Cream® is a high temperature, low viscosity synthetic skate lubricant specially formulated by Bones® to reduce friction, and provide a durable micro film of lubricant to protect against corrosion. We have found this lubricant to be superior to Teflon™ based lubricants in skate environments. Speed Cream R.F. makes your bearings faster and is very long lasting.
Features Higher quality steel races, better quality and grade balls, and a superior surface finish.
Single, non-contact, removable rubber shield for easy cleaning and less friction.
High speed nylon ball retainer for greater strength and speed.
Pre-lubricated with Speed Cream™ racing lubricant
Skate Rated™ clearances, tolerances, materials and lubricant provide the best performance and durability possible.
Set of 8 bearings
7. Lube… Don’t wanna spurge on bearings… a sample Skanunu is $2.50 and will last you the whole of GHF easy… or be a baller and get some of that Purple.
8. Helmet… why is a helmet #8? isn’t it mandatory? Well, then you should always have a helmet, right? If you’re blowing it with a cracked old piece of foo foo, or maybe just wearing a plastic hat, come get a certified helmet and protect your melon at GHF. Bring in the old one and save $15.
9. Bushings… dial in your trucks and be ready to schmang. Having a well tuned shred machine will make your GHF all that snazzier.
10. Flatspot Bucket Hat… It’s going to be sunny and hot and when you’re not wearing your helmet, you’re going to want to cover your head. Bucket hats are made for the job. Pro tip: Happy Hour sunglasses…
We will leave you with this video from one summer when Mischa, Slota, Aidan, Evan and Shane we drove to giants head and primarily skated everything else around it because the gate was closed.
If you have any questions please feel free to shoot us an email at email@example.com, message us on facebook, or call at 604 899 8937!