Dates for Giants Head Freeride 2017 have been announced! Make sure you are prepared for three days of utterly amazing runs and don’t get caught without the necessities.
Last year Giants Head Freeride was AWESOME! Flatspot team rider Laine Jackart took second at the race, the King of the Coast contest was in full swing, and everyone had a good time. The one defining feature of this event is the number of runs. There are a lot of runs, and each run has a lot of corners. This equates to a lot of slides, and for most of us, a decent amount of bails as well. So make sure you come stocked up and prepared, because the giants takes what it wants, and it has no mercy.
10 things you will want to stock up on for Giants Head Freeride June 26-28th
1. Daves Hippy oil… no matter how many wheels you torch, you’re road rash will need more attention. Don’t be having a staph party at skate events, its bad karma.
2. Wheels… This is GHF. Endless runs, many slides. It should be called skidfest, but thats the event in my underpants. Which you should bring extra’s of as well.
These brand new 64mm FreeRides with our stone ground finish will leave golden lines of thane right out of the box! They feature our wide “FreeRide Core” that provides extra support to keep them amazingly stable and smooth while sliding. They also feature our legendary classic 81a amberthane, which results in a smooth, fast and drifty wheel that won’t let you down. Set these up on your favorite small-sized freeride or cruising board and you’ll be one very happy camper.
3. Toestop… If your riding a topmount, there is a very good chance you might appreciate rocking a toestop for this event. Between the occasional road heave, the excessive sliding and the pinecones there are ample opportunities for your foot to get bucked into all kinds of unfortunate places.
New Cog-Shaped Grooved FootStop, the KoMotion:
Conforms to fit the concave of your board
Custom KranK 95a Urethane so your toe will ‘mold’ slightly against the cog to help prevent slipping
Super Lightweight: .25 oz / 7 gm
Diameter: 1.00″ / 25.4 mm
Height: .76″ / 19.3 mm
7 Fun Colors to choose from!
Sold Individually with a washer, 1.75″ bolt, nut, PSD sticker & a RipTide sticker.
4. Pucks (maybe gloves too)… even if your stand up skills are above average, shit happens and you’re going to want a solid glove and puck on hand to save you… especially with all the pinecones!
Speaking of pinecones, check out this epic gif we ripped off from skateslate’s blog!
5. Knee, elbow, and hip/ass pads… there is no better way to keep skating longer, than avoiding slams all together, but slams happen, so having some pads can keep your out of the Med Tech tent. Worried about looking like a kook? We’re Kooks. Fuck that shit. Pad up and give no fucks. Pro Tip: Spine Protectors are the new black.
Don’t go big without it.
With a specially contoured body for maximum protection and comfort without the bulk, KP Pro pads are our top-of-the-line knee pads for skaters who aren’t afraid to push their limits.
- Specially contoured body for maximum protection & comfort without the bulk
- Heavy duty contoured EVA memory foam
- High-density, impact-resistant cap securely attached with reinforced rivets
- Neoprene butterfly back closure for easy on & off without having to take your shoes on and off
- Top elastic & bottom web adjustable straps
- MULTI-LAYER EVA FOAM ON AND AROUND KNEE
- REPLACEABLE PE KNEE CAP
- PRE-SHAPED DESIGN
- STRONG CORDURA FABRIC
- HORSESHOE SHAPED FOAM
- NEOPRENE BUTTERFLY STRAPS
- TOP DOUBLE-LAYER VELCRO 360° STRAP
- BOTTOM VELCRO STRAP WITH SNAP BUCKLE
- OPEN-BACK DESIGN
- COMFORTABLE LINING FABRIC
- EN 14120 CE CERTIFIED
Save some body parts, and some dough.
Protecting your wrists, knees and elbows is now more convenient and affordable than ever. Our Saver Series 3-Pack Box comes with Wristsavers, Kneesavers and Elbowsavers—everything you need to keep you protected below the head.
Knee & Elbow Pads:
- Lightweight, shock absorbing ventilated EVA foam
- High-density, impact-resistant polyethylene cap with rivet reinforcement
- Wide, reinforced elastic straps secured to an abrasion resistant nylon body for durability
- High-density, impact-resistant molded ABS splints on front and back for support
- Lightweight, shock absorbing EVA foam
- 4-way stretchable nylon mesh with reinforced double stitching
Easy on, easy off.
Get classic Wristsaver protection, support and padded comfort with the added bonus of our single strap, Slide-On design. No matter how hard you skate, putting on and taking off the Wristaver II is super easy.
- Tough, 4-way stretch nylon mesh provides a snug fit
- High-density, impact-resistant molded ABS splints on front & back for support
- Shock absorbing EVA foam between support splints & wrist for cushioning
6. Bearings… everyone forgets to bring an extra set (or two) of bearings. GHF is dusty as fuck when it’s dry and wet is wet, so why blow a bearing and not be prepared.
Single, non-contact, removable rubber shield for easy cleaning and less friction
High speed Nylon™ ball retainer for greater strength and speed
Pre-lubricated with Speed Cream™ racing lubricant
Skate Rated™ clearances, tolerances, materials and lubricant provide the best performance and durability possible
– Precision 8mm axle holes
– .4045″ built in spacers
– .5mm built in speedrings
– Green rubber seals to keep dirt and debris on the outside of the bearing.
– Lubed with Custom Nanoceramic Grease
-The unique feature of the lubricant is how the nanoceramic compound fills in deformations or asperities in the bearing. These deformations cause friction and heat around them which hardens the nano-ceramic compound to that specific area. This micro coating is 5 times the hardness of the host alloy and has a molecular bond with the host metal, filling in all the asperities and eliminating friction over time.
-The coefficient of friction is the lowest in the field of Tribology at 0.003% creating a near frictionless surface. Mainly because the nanoceramic compound eliminates all asperities.
-Extremely low water washout
-Corrosion on the inside of the bearing is nearly eliminated.
Sold in sets of 8 bearings.
7. Lube… Don’t wanna spurge on bearings… a sample Skanunu is $2.50 and will last you the whole of GHF easy… or be a baller and get some of that Purple.
8. Helmet… why is a helmet #8? isn’t it mandatory? Well, then you should always have a helmet, right? If you’re blowing it with a cracked old piece of foo foo, or maybe just wearing a plastic hat, come get a certified helmet and protect your melon at GHF. Bring in the old one and save $15.
9. Bushings… dial in your trucks and be ready to schmang. Having a well tuned shred machine will make your GHF all that snazzier.
Bones only puts out the best. And with minds like Kevin Reimer behind the product, you know it was extensively tested. The hard insert reduces hanger play, which basically makes your trucks perform better in every way possible. To gauge for consistent stability, anticipate to ride a softer durometer than your previous bushings. They are sized to fit all longboard trucks that matter.
Here's what it says on the package, and they don't appear to be lying either:
-Patented bonded-insert technology
-More precise steering
-No break-in period
-The BEST bushings, period.
On Sale$0.00 – $8.00CAD
Like all KHIRO bushings, these ‘Tall Cone’ Bushings come in seven different durometers; Extra Soft White 73A, Mild Soft Orange 79A, Soft Blue 85A, Med Soft Red 90A, Hard Black 95A and Extra Hard Purple 98A.
Note: The X-Soft White Bushings are 73-A hardness, designed for light discipline and lightweight skaters.
- There is no break-in period. Just put them in, adjust and skate.
- Your trucks will be more responsive.
- Increased truck performance
- Improves your skating experience.
- Your turns will be smooth and positive, not floppy or rigid.
- 3 Hardnesses: Hard Bushing: 96A, Medium Bushing: 91A, Soft Bushing: 81A
10. Flatspot Bucket Hat… It’s going to be sunny and hot and when you’re not wearing your helmet, you’re going to want to cover your head. Bucket hats are made for the job. Pro tip: Happy Hour sunglasses…
We will leave you with this video from one summer when Mischa, Slota, Aidan, Evan and Shane we drove to giants head and primarily skated everything else around it because the gate was closed.
If you have any questions please feel free to shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, message us on facebook, or call at 604 899 8937!